Xenel was founded in 1973 by the descendants of one of the oldest trading houses in the Middle East . It is positioned at the center of a group of companies created with a shared vision of achieving economic growth by bridging know how to different parts of the world. Over its 40 year history Xenel, through its internal skills, joint venture partnerships and associations with global companies throughout the world, has built expertise in energy, petrochemicals, construction, infrastructure development, healthcare, industrial services, IT, logistics, real estate and global investing.
Through its ability to identify opportunities, Xenel is an acknowledged innovator and leader in building projects and companies in infrastructure, diversified industries and contracting, regionally and internationally. From its creation of the first electrical cable production facility in the Middle East to developing the first green-field site BOO power plant (HUBCO) in Pakistan, and from the first commercially operated desalination plant in Saudi Arabia to the expansion of its downstream private-sector petrochemical industries, Xenel has joint ventured and built alliances with global companies and institutions of international renown and created companies with global reach.
Projects that highlight Xenel’s leadership abilities:
- Working with International Power and the World Bank, Xenel successfully led the development of the first privately owned green-field power plant in East Asia.
- Founded the first cable company in the Middle East .
- Developed the first bonded free-trade zone in Saudi Arabia.
- Developed the first private downstream petrochemical plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Following the Gulf War in 1992 Xenel through its subsidiaries restored electricity back to Kuwait City in two weeks.
- Completed projects and acquisitions in over 40 countries.
- Adopting "Carbon based Finance" principle in our projects.
- Establishing RSGT, the latest terminal at Jeddah Islamic port & the most advanced container facility on the Red Sea covering more than half a million square meters.